Perfect roast potatoes
Who doesn't like to indulge in some crispy roast potatoes on Christmas Eve?
1.5kg potatoes, peeled
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Fresh herbs of your choice
Red wine vinegar
1 bulb of garlic, broken into cloves
1. Preheat your oven to 190ºC.
2. Peel potatoes and cut larger ones so they’re all an even-size.
3. Wash potatoes in cold water to get rid of any extra starch then tip into a large pot, cover with cold water and season well.
4. Bring to the boil and cook for about six to seven minutes, so that they’re parboiled, then drain in a colander and leave to steam dry for three minutes.
5. Give the colander a bit of a shake to help break up the corners of the potatoes – this will help to make them extra crispy later on.
6. Tip your potatoes into a tray or pan in one layer, and add a bit of olive oil or butter, then season well with salt and pepper. Toss potatoes in the butter or olive oil.
7. Put potatoes in the hot oven to cook for 30 minutes until lightly golden and three quarters cooked.
8. Gently squash each potato with a potato masher to increase the surface area – the more of your potato that’s in contact with the pan, the crispier it will be.
9. Add some olive oil to a small bowl and add the herbs, garlic and a splash of red wine vinegar.
10. Add the flavour to your potatoes and give the pan a good shake, then pop back in the hot oven for 40 to 45 minutes until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a plate lined with kitchen paper to drain off some of the excess oil.