Pavlova with fresh summer berries
This is the perfect summer dessert for a special occasion. And you can also make it with ready-made meringue, making this sweet treat even easier!
4 large egg whites at room temperature
1 cup castor sugar
1 tsp white vinegar
½ tbsp cornstarch
½ tsp pure vanilla extract
250ml whipping cream
200ml ready-made chocolate mousse
Fresh fruit such as strawberries, raspberries and blueberries
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1. Preheat the oven to 140ºC and place the rack in middle of the oven.
2. Line a baking tray with foil and draw a seven-inch circle on the foil with the blunt edge of a knife (don’t tear the foil). Set aside.
3. In a clean, medium-sized bowl, beat the egg whites with a clean electric mixer on medium speed.
Beat until the whites form soft peaks.
4. Gently sprinkle the sugar into the egg whites, one teaspoon at a time. Don’t just lump the sugar in the bowl and don’t stop beating the eggs until you have finished the sugar. Your egg whites should now be glossy stiff peaks.
5. Sprinkle the cornstarch and vinegar on the meringue and fold in gently with a plastic spatula. Add the vanilla and gently fold the mixture again.
6. Now gently spread the meringue in the circle on the foil to make a circular base. Make sure the edges of the meringue are slightly higher than the centre so you have a very slight well in the middle.
7. Bake the meringue for about one hour and 15 minutes.
8. Turn the oven off and leave the door slightly open to let the meringue cool completely. As the meringue cools, it will crack slightly.
9. Just before serving, take the meringue out of the oven, remove it gently from the foil and place on a plate.
10. Whip the cream with the vanilla extract until it forms peaks. Prepare the fruit by washing and slicing.
11. Gently spread chocolate mousse and then cream on top of the meringue with a spatula and arrange the berries on top.