Fish pie with mashed potato
A tasty way to get even the fussiest of eaters to eat some fish.
1.5kg hake or any fish of your choice
500ml full cream milk
3 bays leaves
125g frozen peas
75g plain flour
125gr grated cheese
Salt and pepper
2 tbsp bread crumbs
1. Peel the potatoes and bring to a boil in salted water. Once they are tender, drain and then mash them with 75g of the butter. Season to taste
2. Put the fish into a large pan with milk, bay leaves and salt and pepper. Bring the milk to a boil, then, immediately turn down and simmer the fish until it is just cooked through. Remove the fish to a plate and pour the cooking liquid into jug, straining out the bay leaves.
3. Put the frozen peas in a bowl and pour over some boiling water.
4. Preheat the oven to 190ºC.
5. Melt the remaining 75g butter in a saucepan and stir in the flour to make a roux.
6. Take off the heat and whisk in the milk in which the fish was cooked. Put back onto a medium heat and keep stirring until the sauce comes to a boil and thickens. Take off the heat and stir in most of the cheese and the drained peas.
7. Flake the fish and line a casserole dish with it. Pour the sauce over using a spatula to help you distribute it equally. Top with the mash potato.
8. Sprinkle over the remaining cheese and top with breadcrumbs.
9. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes until golden brown.
You can also give this fish pie a try to see which one wins over the kids.