Roast potato and caramelised onion frittata
Serve this at your next brunch to impress the family.
500g potatoes, thinly sliced
Salt and pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 onions, thickly sliced
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 tbsp butter
1½ tbsp sugar
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp thyme
6 eggs, lightly beaten
½ cup cream
1. Place the thinly sliced potatoes on a baking tray, season with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil. Bake in the oven at 190ºC for 30 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.
2. Fry the onions in butter and garlic. Fry them over a medium-low heat allowing them to become very soft and brown but not burnt. This process takes approximately 10-15 minutes.
3. Add the sugar, vinegar and half the thyme and let the sugar dissolve and the mixture caramelise until a dark brown glossy texture is reached.
4. In an oven proof frying pan layer the potato and onion.
5. Beat the eggs and cream together and pour over the mixture. Place the pan on the stove top and cook gently until the frittata starts to set underneath – about five minutes (checking the sides with a spatula) then place the pan under the grill to cook the top. Cook for about five minutes until golden brown. Sprinkle with remaining thyme and serve.