Keep little hands busy during the holidays and try this sweet treat for an afternoon snack.
310ml breakfast oats
125ml butter or margarine
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
45–60ml boiling water
1. Preheat the oven to 150ºC.
2. Combine the dry ingredients.
3. Melt the syrup and butter together. Combine the bicarbonate of soda with the water and add to the butter mixture. Mix together with the dry ingredients.
4. Press the mixture into a 20cm x 20cm square tin and bake for 20 minutes. Gently press down the sides if they start to rise too much.
5. When light brown, remove from the oven and cut into squares. Switch off the oven.
6. Return the crunchies to the oven for about 10 minutes to dry out.
7. Allow to cool before removing from the tin.
Makes about 12 crunchies