Scalloped potato and mushroom bake
Ditch the packet potato bake seasoning and try this bake as a vegetarian dish on its own or a side for your favourite roast or braai meat.
4 large potatoes, peeled and sliced
1 tbsp butter
250g mushrooms, sliced
1 small onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
¼ cup all-purpose flour
1 cup chicken stock
1 tsp salt
½ tsp dried oregano
½ tsp pepper
1 cup cream
1 cup coarsely chopped fresh spinach
2 cups grated cheese
1. Preheat oven to 180ºC.
2. Place potatoes in a large saucepan and add water to cover. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cook uncovered for 8-12 minutes or until tender. Drain.
3. In another saucepan, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and onion and cook for six to eight minutes or until tender. Stir in garlic and cook for another minute.
4. In a small bowl, whisk flour, stock and seasonings until smooth. Stir into the mushroom mixture. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir for about two minutes or until sauce has thickened. Remove from heat and stir in the cream.
5. Arrange half of the potatoes in a greased baking dish and top with spinach. Spread half of the hot mushroom sauce over top and sprinkle with one cup of cheese. Layer with remaining potatoes, sauce and cheese.
6. Bake uncovered for 12-15 minutes or until heated through and cheese has melted.