Thursday, 21 September 2017
This home-made pizza dough with simple, rustic toppings will beat any takeaway, any day.
1½ cups warm water
2 tsp/1 sachet dried yeast
Pinch of caster sugar
4 cups plain flour
1 tsp salt
¼ cup olive oil, plus extra for brushing
1. Combine the water, yeast and sugar in a small bowl. Set aside for five minutes or until foamy.
2. Combine the flour and salt in a large bowl and make a well in the centre. Add the yeast mixture and oil. Use a round-bladed knife in a cutting motion to mix until the mixture is combined. Use your hands to bring the dough together in the bowl.
3. Brush a bowl lightly with oil. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place in the prepared bowl and turn to coat in oil. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm place to rise for 30 minutes or until dough doubles in size.
4. Roll the dough out with a rolling pin according to your desired size.
5. Spread tomato paste over the top of the dough and layer with a mixture of cheeses and sliced tomatoes. You can also add some basil pesto.
6. Grill in the oven for 10 minutes until golden brown and crispy.
7. Top with fresh basil and freshly ground pepper.