There's nothing like a hearty beef curry on a cold, Saturday afternoon.
2 tbsp ground coriander
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tsp turmeric
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp chilli powder
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tsp grated ginger
2½ tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp olive oil
1kg beef cubes
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 cup beef stock
Coriander, mint and sliced red chilli, (optional) to serve
1. Combine coriander, cumin, turmeric, pepper, chilli, garlic, ginger and lemon juice in a bowl to form a paste. Set aside.
2. Heat one tablespoon of oil in a large saucepan over high heat. Add half the beef. Cook, stirring, for two to three minutes or until browned. Transfer to a bowl. Repeat with remaining oil and beef.
3. Reduce heat to medium. Add spice paste. Cook for one minute.
4. Return beef to saucepan. Cook, stirring, for one minute, or until meat is coated with paste.
5. Add tomato paste and stock. Bring to the boil then reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for one hour and 45 minutes, or until beef is tender.
6. Remove lid. Cook uncovered for a further 15 minutes, or until sauce has reduced and thickened slightly. Serve with rice and top with mint, coriander and fresh chilli.