Creamy chicken soup
A soup filled with family-friendly ingredients that the kids will love with a slice of warm, home-made bread.
2 cups chicken stock
6 large chicken breast on the bone
1 large brown onion, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 large carrot, chopped
1 medium leek, trimmed, halved, washed and chopped
⅓ cup plain flour
½ cup cream
¼ cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
1. Place three and a half cups of cold water, the stock, chicken, onion, celery, carrot and leek in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, covered for one hour.
2. Transfer chicken to a bowl and cool slightly. Remove the bones and shred the meat. Set aside.
3. Strain stock mixture into a large heatproof jug and put the remaining vegetables to the side.
4. Melt butter in pan over medium-high heat. Add flour. Cook, stirring, for one minute or until bubbling. Gradually stir in stock mixture and cream. Cover and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium.
5. Add chicken and vegetables. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until soup thickens slightly. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with parsley.