Tomato and basil tart
This one has a firm place in our recipe books. It's great for brunch or as a coffee table snack when you have people visiting. And really, it couldn't be simpler to make.
Roll of puff pastry
About 6 tbsp basil pesto
6 ripe tomatoes, thinly sliced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
2. Place the rectangle of puff pastry on a non-stick baking sheet. Prick all over with a fork, leaving a border around the edge.
3. Spread the pesto over the pastry base, being careful not to cover the border. Then lay the tomatoes on top of the pesto, overlapping slightly. Season generously with salt and black pepper.
4. Brush the boarder of the pastry with egg.
5. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until the pastry border is crisp and golden and the tomatoes are soft.