Cheese dip bread
Try this indulgent snack the next time you have friends or family over to visit.
2 tbsp salted butter
2 tbsp onion, finely chopped
2 tbsp flour
2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
3 cups milk
1 cup cream
1½ cups white cheddar, grated
1½ cup yellow cheddar, grated
4 cups steamed broccoli
Large round bread
Salt and black pepper
1. Melt butter in a large stock pot. Add onion and cook slowly until soft.
2. Stir in flour and cook for three minutes, stirring. Slowly add the stock, milk and cream, alternating until all are combined. Heat to boiling, stirring frequently.
3. Stir in the cheese and broccoli*. Keep stirring until the cheese is completely melted. Add salt and pepper to taste. The longer this sits, the thicker it gets, until you end up with a thick dipping sauce that won’t fall off a spoon.
4. Cut a round hole in the top of the bread to make a lid and remove some of the inner bread until you have a bowl shape. Fill the bread cavity with the dipping sauce and place the lid on top.
5. Wrap in foil and put in the oven for about 10 minutes until the bread is warm.
* To prepare the broccoli, steam until tender and pulse in a food processor or mash with the end of a fork, it will crumble easily.