Tomato and chilli jam and mustard mayo
Here are two easy dipping sauces that you can make when entertaining. They're great for dipping chicken skewers, chipolatas or even some crunchy veg.
Tomato and chilli jam
1kg ripe tomatoes
Fresh chilli peppers
8 cloves of garlic
600g brown sugar
60ml Worcester sauce
250ml red wine vinegar
1. Blanch the tomatoes, peel and cut them into quarters.
2. Place tomatoes into a blender with garlic, Worcester sauce and chillis and blend until a thick consistency is reached.
3. Pour into a saucepan and add the sugar and vinegar. Bring to a boil stirring constantly until sugar is completely dissolved.
4. Turn the heat down and let it simmer. Stir every 10 minutes for 30-40 minutes until jam like consistency is reached.
5. Jam becomes thicker as it cools.
1 tsp mustard (English or any other you prefer)
2 egg yolks
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
Pinch of white pepper
300ml sunflower oil
1. Whisk mustard, egg yolks, vinegar, salt and pepper together.
2. Slowly add the oil until an even consistency is reached and then add remaining oil while whisking very quickly.