Pesto pasta salad
We're starting to have some warmer days and that calls for some lighter meals like a delicious pasta salad that is great as a meal on its own or as a side with your favourite braai meat.
500ml pasta of your choice, we used elbow noodles
1 cup fresh basil pesto*
1 cup frozen peas, defrosted
1 cup frozen corn, defrosted
Cherry tomatoes, halved
1 tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper
Several fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped
1. Cook pasta according to instructions on the package.
2. Put pasta in a big bowl and mix in basil pesto.
3. Gently mix in cherry tomatoes, peas, fresh basil leaves, olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.
4. Chill or serve at room temperature.
Store bought pesto tends to get expensive so why not make your own and keep it in the fridge to enjoy with many different dishes.
30g pine nuts, toasted
30g parmesan cheese, freshly grated
1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
85ml olive oil
Salt and black pepper
1. Put the basil, parmesan, garlic and pine nuts into a food processor and season well.
2. Whiz together and with the motor still running, pour the oil in until the pesto thickens.
3. Store in a clean jar in the fridge covered with a slick of oil to prevent it drying out.