Boerewors and bean soup
Give your soup some South African flavour by adding boerewors. Serve with warm, buttered bread.
2 tsp oil
1 onion, chopped
1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
1 stick of celery, finely chopped
2 carrots grated
2 potatoes, grated
1 tin of red kidney beans
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
250ml vegetable or chicken stock
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp of dried oregano
1. In a large saucepan brown the onion in the oil and add the garlic.
2. When the onion has coloured a little add the chopped celery, grated carrots and potatoes.
3. Add the beans with their liquid and the tinned tomato.
4. Add the vegetable or chicken stock.
5. Stir all together. Bring to a boil and then turn the heat down to low and let it simmer for 20 minutes while you cook the boerewors.
6. Heat the oil and brown the boerewors.
7. Add a couple of spoons of water to cover the base of the pan and close the lid, turning the heat to medium-low.
8. Let the boerewors simmer for a few minutes, then open the lid and turn the wors.
9. Add more water if it is sticking, replace the lid and cook for a few more minutes.
10. Cut the wors up into bite-sized pieces and add it to the soup mixture. Add the dried thyme and oregano herbs. Allow to cook on a slow heat for further 10 minutes.