Bacon and onion potato cake
This delicious side dish will be a hit with the whole family, especially the kids. Simply serve with a green salad as an easy week night meal.
800g potatoes, peeled
2tbsp sunflower oil
Thyme for garnish optional
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 180ºC.
2. Heat up half the butter and oil in a frying pan and gently sauté the onions until transparent. Remove and place in a bowl.
3. Add the chopped up bacon bits to the same pan and lightly fry until almost cooked.
4. Thinly slice the potatoes and start to arrange a layer effect on a greased oven pan or cake tin. First the potatoes and then the onions and bacon and repeat until the pan is filled.
5. Cover the pan or tin and cook for 20 minutes until the potatoes are soft.
6. Uncover and cook for another 30 minutes until the potatoes are cooked through and the top in golden brown.
7. Remove from the oven and garnish with thyme (optional). Serve hot.