Tomato and basil quiche
Not every winter meal needs to be a heavy stew or curry. Sometimes it's still nice to have something light and tasty. This tart is simple to make and it's meat-free. Serve it with a fresh green salad for an easy lunch.
1 roll ready-made puff pastry
300g cherry tomatoes
4 large tomatoes, sliced in rounds
100g parmesan, grated
250ml double cream
Handful basil leaves, shredded, plus a few small ones left whole for scattering
1. Heat oven to 200ºC.
2. Drizzle the tomatoes with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Put the tomatoes on the low shelf of the oven and roast at a high heat for 10 minutes.
3. Beat the eggs in a bowl. Add the cream and stir in the basil and season.
4. Spread the pastry over a greased round quiche dish or in a rectangular shape on a greased baking tray.
5. Sprinkle half the cheese over the base, scatter over the tomatoes, pour over the cream mixture, then layer the tomato rounds on top and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
6. Bake for 20-25 mins until set and golden brown. Leave to cool, then remove from the tin. Scatter over the remaining basil and serve in slices.