Sweet potato curry
Ward off the chills with a bowl of aromatic, spicy curry, best served with rice, rotis or naan bread, and some flavourful chutney. It’s the easiest way to feed a crowd on a budget but still packs a lot of taste!
1 tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 onion chopped
½ red chilli, finely chopped
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp medium curry powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
2 tbsp tomato purée
200ml vegetable stock
250g sweet potato, peeled and cut into cubes
100g broccoli, chopped
Salt and black pepper
Chopped coriander, to garnish
Yoghurt to garnish
1. Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the garlic and onion and fry until softened.
2. Add the chilli, cumin seeds, curry powder and turmeric powder and fry for a further minute to release the aromas and oils.
3. Add the tomato purée and vegetable stock, stir well and bring to a simmer.
4. Add the sweet potato and broccoli and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the sweet potato is cooked through. Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
5. To serve, pour into a warm bowl, sprinkle with the fresh coriander and spoon the yoghurt into the middle.
Some more to try:
• 250g cottage cheese mixed with 30ml toasted coconut.
• Banana slices covered with milk or dipped in lemon juice and sauteed in butter.
• Pineapple cubes marinated in coconut milk.
• Sliced onions sauteed in butter.
• Chopped tomatoes mixed with chopped onion and fresh coriander leaves.