Hot cross buns
Happy Easter! To celebrate, and if you're up for some holiday baking, how about some delicious home-made hot cross buns?450g flour
2.5ml each of mixed spice, ground cinnamon and ground nutmeg
50g castor sugar
20g instant yeast
3-45ml mixed peel, chopped
150ml tepid milk
60ml tepid water
50g butter, melted and cooled, but not firm
1 egg, beaten
Shortcrust pastry: (for the crosses)
50g plain flour
Pinch of salt
9ml cold water
60ml milk and water
45ml castor sugar
1. Cover a baking tray with flour and preheat the oven to 190ºC.
2. In a large bowl, sift together flour, salt, spices, castor sugar, and then mix in yeast, currants and peel.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together milk, water, melted butter and egg.
4. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients, pour in the milk mixture and mix to a soft dough.
5. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead dough until smooth.
6. Put dough in a large greased bowl, cover with oiled clingwrap and leave to rise until double in size.
7. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead lightly. Divide dough into 12 pieces and using the palm of your hand, roll each piece into a ball, shaping into a bun. Arrange buns spaced well apart on a floured baking tray, cover and allow to prove for 30 minutes.
8. Roll out the shortcrust pastry thinly and cut into 9cm long strips. Use a little water to dampen strips and lay two on each bun to form a cross.
9. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
10. Heat the milk and water with the sugar, and brush this glaze over the hot buns twice. Leave to cool on a wire rack.