This is a really simple recipe for making one of South Africa's favourite dishes and is the perfect meal to make over the weekend, especially if you're having visitors.
2 slices brown bread
1 onion chopped
15ml curry powder
2 garlic cloves
20ml tomato paste
100ml fruit chutney
2 bay leaves
1. Preheat the oven to 220ºC.
2. Place the bread into a small bowl and cover with the milk, allow the bread to absorb the milk and set aside.
3. Sauté the onion until soft then add the mince, curry powder, garlic and tomato paste. Stir and cook for five minutes.
4. Squeeze the excess milk out of the bread and add the bread to the mince mixture. Add the chutney and cook for 10 minutes.
5. Mix the egg with the remaining milk and set aside.
6. Transfer the mince mixture into an oven-proof serving dish and smooth the surface.
7. Pour the egg mixture over the top and add the bay leaves.
8. Bake for 25 minutes until the egg has set.