A traditional roast turkey really gives you that holiday feeling.
Basting for turkey
½ cup butter, softened
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp dried chicken stock
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried thyme
½ tsp dried sage
1. Blend butter with remaining ingredients.
2. Prepare turkey for roasting. Rub half the herb mixture under skin of turkey.
3. Cook turkey, basting with remainder of the herb mixture every half hour until done.
Tips for cooking a perfect holiday turkey
• A stuffed, 4kg turkey will take over two hours to cook and will feed about 10 people.
• A partially frozen turkey, or a stuffed turkey requires longer cooking. The use of aluminum foil for the entire roasting time will also slow down cooking.
• The depth and size of your roasting pans can alter heat circulation around the bird. Be sure to allow at least two inches of space around the oven walls so heat can circulate around the turkey.
• To shorten cooking time, cover the turkey with a roasting pan lid, or use and oven cooking bag. Dark roasting pans also result in faster cook times than shiny metal roasting pans.
• Some ovens may heat unevenly and many ovens have “hot spots”. The roasting pan should be turned to prevent one area of the turkey from cooking too quickly.
• The rack position can have an effect on even cooking and heat circulation. Place the turkey on a lower rack so the top of the turkey is in the middle of the oven.
• Store left-over turkey in the fridge and use within two to three days or freeze for up to two months.