There is no set rule that says exactly when you must start your baby on solids. Generally your baby will be fine on milk for at least the first four months, possibly six months of his life. But there will come a time when he will not only want to eat solid food, but his growing body will need it.
So when is the right time? All babies are different and you need to do what is right for your baby, so the decision to offer solid foods should be made with your doctor or clinic sister. Here are some general milestones to look out for that may indicate he is ready for solids.
• Your baby is at least four months old.
• He has doubled his birth weight.
• He is starting to show an interest in what you are eating.
• Your baby was sleeping through the night and is now waking up.
• He still seems hungry after his normal feed.
• He can lift his head and place his weight on his arms when lying on his stomach.
• He can hold his head steady when held in a sitting position.